The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Gel Staining the Guest Bath Cabinets

Our guest bathroom got some updates quite a while ago, you can see that here. (always strange to go back and look at old posts!)  But the cabinets, like our kitchen, were a golden oak color that seems really dated.  I guess that was "the thing" in 1986.  

See the one door with one coat of gel stain?  I'm embarrassed to tell you how long ago I removed that knob and applied the stain to ONE door of the cabinet in our guest bathroom.  And also, honestly, I don't remember how long ago it started.  But we'll say it was approximately ONE YEAR AGO.  


The bathroom is small and hard to photograph. It has a matching cabinet over the toilet, which I would remove completely - except the storage is so nice.



The week after Christmas I took some vacation and ended up with a couple days home alone.  I completed one project and this was it!



This stuff is messy - wear gloves!  It gets a little darker each coat.  It really brings out the wood grain and with the three coats I applied, also the imperfections. But I like a distressed look.  I can identify with distressed. 



Time wise, it really didn't take all that long.  I think it was the messiness I was avoiding.  I was very happy with the way it looked when I finished. I kept going back several times a day to look again. Do you do that when you finish a project?



Thankfully, when SuperDave came home from work he liked the new look - because there was no going back at that point.



Several weeks later, I've forgotten about it a little, so when I go in there it's a nice surprise.  And I'm still pleased every time!

Much love and laughter,

Laura


  Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Your cabinets look great with the new stain! I glazed my kitchen cabinets not long ago; and I am kicking myself that I waited so long to do it. I thought it was going to be harder than it was; and you're right...once you start, there's no going back. I feel as if I got a whole new kitchen!