The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Friday, March 13, 2015

Kitchen Cabinets - Paint and Glass Doors

We have another project going on at the same time we are remodeling the upstairs bathroom.  It's a big project but I started with a small "test subject" area and the rest are are on hold for now.

Our house is 30 years old.  We have those golden oak kitchen cabinets that someone thought was the only color of stain available in the 80s.  I really feel the need to update but don't want to spend a lot of money.  So a few years ago I decided to add glass to the doors of the upper cabinets.  I would bring it up occasionally to SuperDave but he was hesitant to start cutting on the cabinet doors.


First we did Internet research on how to cut out the raised panel in the middle of the door, then I bought an old cabinet door at the Habitat for Humanity Restore for him to play with for a while.



I waited and waited and finally he started on the real doors with the mind set that if we ruined the doors we would just make a new plan.



I had previously painted the island in our kitchen and the black chalk paint covered great on the island.  The white didn't seem to be working as well, at first.


At this point I was beginning to think maybe I had made a mistake.  But I kept going. What choice did I have?


After a few coats of paint and some clear and dark wax, I was satisfied.  They look a more yellow at night than I had intended, but in the daytime they appear more white.  Light has so much effect on paint color!  I used Maison Blanche Vintage Furniture Paint in Vanille with clear wax and a little dark wax.


Once they were painted I headed off to the glass shop to look for an opaque glass.  The glass shop convenient to my work and home would install the glass, but they only had two options that were not extremely transparent.  One was a very plain textured glass and the other was called Everglade.  It's swirling vines appealed to me and seemed a little whimsical.  I like whimsical....


So I said, "do it!"


I think it looks so much better! Honestly if the glass shop had a dozen choices I might not have picked this one.  I'm sort of glad they didn't because I like it more and more every day.


Look at that beautiful swirly glass!



The other side of the kitchen has a bank of cabinets with SIX doors, plus two little ones over the fridge. As soon as I get my second wind, (or when  the bathroom project is finished) I'm going to tackle the other side. Then I plan to gel stain the lower cabinets like I did in the guest bathroom.  I'll let you know how it goes! I'm excited to have the whole kitchen finished - not excited about DOING the project but excited to have it finished. 


    BEFORE                            AFTER


Much love and laughter,

Laura


  Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

Maureen Wyatt said...

It looks fabulous! You are going to be so glad to be rid of the oak that you may eventually forget just how much work goes into painting kitchens cabinets. Oops, should I have said that?